Thursday, July 7, 2011

Reality Check Progress: Day 2 (And a Bonus Sewing Project!)

Day 2.  Today I took on the bathroom. Oh joy of joys!  I will admit now that it's clean I feel so much better.  During it's decline I was embarrassed about the mess and would actually apologize if someone other than myself had to use it.  It wasn't THAT bad, but I know how it feels to use someone elses' bathroom that isn't "company clean", and it's not fun. 

I have been in people's bathrooms that qualify to be on reality shows about housekeeping or hoarding, and that was when they knew they would be having people over.  I personally found that very inconsiderate, and here I was inflicting that on other people.  Shameful.

On to the pictures!

(above) Sink area before.  Yuck.

(above) Sink area after- yea!

(above) Gross splattered mirror.

(above) Crystal clean!

(above) Close up of sink before.  Ewwww.

(above) Sink looking all shiny and new!

(above) Storage shelf before.  Clutter City.

(above) Storage shelf after.  Much better.

(above) Glass shelving before.  Please note my "Ghetto iHome" (aka an old computer speaker) that I used to play music loud enough to sing to in the shower.

(above) Glass shelves after.  I removed the Ghetto iHome and replaced it with the (used and gifted) real thing in another part of the bathroom.

(above) Overall view before.

(above) Overall view after.  Ahhhh.

I have now officially cleaned 1/2 of my suite, and have the sewing room and closet to go.  I think I will try to tackle the sewing room next, the closet scares me a little...

On a side note: Last night after I finished cleaning I decided to try and make my own wrap from a tutorial I found on Pinterest.  It was originally posted on Behind The Seams under her DIY projects.  It involves taking 1 square yard of fabric and cutting 2 holes in it.  Simple!  I will admit that I wanted to finish the edges and not leave them raw, so I turned the hem and reinforced the arm holes with some stitching.  If I were to make another in a different color, I would possibly cut the arm holes a little closer to the folded edge.  She recommends 6 inches down and 6 inches in, but for me I'm thinking 5 inches in might give me the little bit of give I seem to need to prevent it pulling across my back like it does now. (The girl who posted the tutorial does seem to be petite, whereas I am not, so her measurements may be perfect for her but not everyone else.)  Here's the end result:

The color is actually a really pretty blood red, but the color kept washing out in the photos.  Next time I would like to try a marigold yellow if I can find the right type of fabric in that shade!


7 comments:

Anonymous,  July 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

That turned out GREAT.
Do you know where I can get the material.
And how would i measure it for me,. She does seem small :)

***NEW follower here :)

Chandra July 8, 2011 at 11:04 PM  

Hmmm. I'm thinking that your chest measurement (not your bra size, but the actual measurement all the way around the fullest part of your chest) will be a factor in deciding what course of action to take in making one of the wraps to fit you. Until I know that number, there isn't much advice I can give you. If you feel comfortable replying here please do so, or you can tell me privatly. (My email is on my About Me profile.)

I bought my fabric from my local Jo Ann Fabrics. It is a jersey knit of some sort, and I just looked until I found one in a weight and color I liked. It cost around $6/yard and I had a coupon, so the whole thing cost me about $3.00 and an hour of my time to make. :)

Anonymous,  July 9, 2011 at 8:33 AM  

Thanks for the inspiration to get my own place cleaned up!

Tina July 13, 2011 at 7:10 AM  

Great job! I did pretty well in the bathroom and with part of the homeblessing yesterday evening, too.

fellow crafter,  September 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM  

Followed your link from Behind the Seams comments. I also made a couple of wraps from original posts. Mine were for very different sized people so I agree that the 6inch measurement is only for a petite size.

I found that for a larger size you need to measure more inches in, not less. Measure inches across back, divide by 2 and then cut that amount. 8" from edge, still 6" down and a 10" slit makes an extra large wrap.

Happy crafting! :)

Anonymous,  November 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM  

You would actually need to add an inch or so to make it bigger across the back, not subtract. From the fold, if you measured 6" it would be a total of 12" across the back. If you made it 5", it would only be 10" across. I think if you could figure out how many inches you need from armpit to armpit across the back, you could divide that in half and that'd be your number to measure. So if you needed 16" total, you'd measure 8" from the fold.

Anonymous,  November 7, 2011 at 1:47 PM  

Oh, what you said about the band size of your bra would work. Take that number (say you're a 34) divide it in half. (17) Then divide in half again (8.5) and that'd be the amount you'd measure from the fold.