Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stopping To Smell The Febreze

I have a confession- I am addicted to Febreze.  It all started ino-scent-ly enough.  (Get it?)  About a year ago I stole borrowed a can of furniture polish from my mother to restore the shine on my bed set.  As I sprayed and wiped away smudges I began to notice how utterly fabulous the stuff smelled.  I took a look at the can to find that it was Swiffer Dust and Shine with Febreze's Lavender Vanilla and Comfort scent.  Hmmmm, not bad.

Fast forward to my time living with the guy formally known as Roomie.  The  first time I wanted to mop the floor in that apartment I discovered that he didn't actually own a mop, but instead used one of those Swiffer Sweepers with the wet cloths.  I pulled it out, stuck on a cloth, and there was that smell again!  Heavenly. Again, the cleaning agent in the wet cloth was scented with Febreze Lavender Vanilla and Comfort. Because of that smell, I actually started looking forward to mopping the floor.  Unfortunately, the wet cloths didn't do the best job at getting up the ground in dirt one finds on the kitchen floor of a single guy.  I went out and bought a real mop, and while I was at it, went on an obsessive hunt for other products containing that scent.


In my search I found Mr. Clean Multi-Surfaces Liquid cleaner with my new-favorite aroma, which is what I now use with a real mop when cleaning the floors. I also picked up some actual Febreze Fabric Refresher spray (the extra large bottle of course), and was happy to see it came with a small "Febreze To Go" bottle that I keep in my car.

It was filled with the standard old-school smelling Febreze, and you can bet I used that up as quickly as possible so I could refill it with- you guessed it- Lavender Vanilla and Comfort. Oh, I can't forget to mention Febreze Air Effects, a sprayable air freshener.  This I have in several scents for whatever tickles my fancy at the time:


I love how Febreze freshens up my "home" (be it a shared apartment with a friend or my sister's old room in my parents' house, sigh), but the only problem I have with it is that is doesn't last nearly long enough!

When I walk into my "home", I want to be greeted with that delicious smell.  Well, unless I just sprayed the fabric refresher/air freshener/mopped the floor/polished the furniture, that wasn't likely to happen.  I needed something that was going to guarantee smell-ability any time of day.  Enter: Febreze NOTICEables:


If you've never heard of this before, the NOTICEables are a plug in air freshener that has two rotating scents in the warmer that change periodically so your snoz doesn't get de-scents-itized to the smell.  (See, I did it again!)  It is rather effective at this goal, and now whenever I walk into my room I immediately notice the welcoming smell. 

A couple  side notes on the NOTICEables- I was a little nervous about using a plug in freshener again after a bad experience I had when I used to use some made by Glade.  Although I loved them and their wide range of scents, my cats had bad reactions that resulted in vomiting whenever I plugged them in.  If I removed the freshener from the apartment the puking stopped, and I tried out this theory several times, so I know it was the Glade.  I read somewhere that animals can be sensitive to essential oils, (which are claimed to be in a lot of these oil warmer/air freshening plug in things) but luckily after months of use with the Febreze NOTICEables we haven't had the same pukey problem.  Secondly- the NOTICEables version of my favorite scent doesn't smell the same as any of the other products I have mentioned.  There is something about the NOTICEables version of all their scents, really, that are a bit off.  Not that is smells bad, just not the same.  Even the name is slightly off, in this case it's called Lavender Comfort and Gentle Vanilla. Just sayin'.

Today I noticed that my NOTICEable was due for a refill, so off to Target I scampered to purchase a new one.  Whilst browsing the aisle dedicated to making your home smell better the urge hit me to *gasp* try a new scent.  Yes, it's true, I have strayed from my beloved Lavender Vanilla and Comfort.  I decided I wanted to go with a nice fall-smelling scent to compliment the recent changes in the weather, so I went with this:


Pumpkin Harvest and Fall.  Yummy.  I could have gone with another that had something to do with apples, but the NOTICEables version smelled kind of chemically even though the candle I used as a control smelled great.  I can't even find that scent on their website, so buyer beware, I guess.

As a final thought- Normally I do not care for the smell of lavender, but there is something about pairing it with vanilla that makes me want to lay on the carpet and inhale like they do in the Febreze commercials.  Nor is there anything in my home that smells so bad that I actually require all this stuff to cover up a stench, but rather I just really like the way it smells in general.  In fact, I may or may not use the Febreze On The Go bottle as "perfume" on occasion... With my "signature" scent of Lavender Vanilla and Comfort, of course.

2 comments:

BentoBoxUK September 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

I am like that with Meister Proper Bath Spray, though here in Germany it is called "Bad Spray" which makes me chuckle every time I use it! (Every day when I swish and Swipe, yay!)

Unknown September 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

Hi Chandra! I've been meaning to comment for a LONG time--- so here's a random barriage of little replies:

1. I LOVE your blog! I feel like it's a miracle that there's somebody putting into words something so similar to my own experience with housework. I've been toying with doing the FlyLady system, and I guess I've kind of started for a day or so a few times... Maybe I'll get back on that bandwagon soon.
2. I have the same Crocs as you, but mine are red! I actually purchased them only after wearing my Malindi sandals well into the fall... erm, November? & then I realized that I needed more... protection against the snow for my socks. Anyway, I love them too!
3. I love the Mr. Clean Multi Surfaces cleaner, too! It smells wooonderful!
4. Thanks for the heads up on the cat-puking associated with Glade air fresheners--- I just started using one, so I'm going to watch out for that.

Well, I guess I've spammed you with enough random comments for now--- I'll try to do a better job in the future so I'm not tempted to leave long comments like this! :)