Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Toilet Jewelry

Every month FlyLady chooses a habit for us to focus working on.  This month she chose "Swish and Swipe", the act of spending a couple minutes every morning swishing the toilet brush  in the toilet, and swiping away any muck around the sink area.  For this FlyLady states she uses things like old shampoo (soap is soap as far and she is concerned) for the swish, and glass cleaner and paper towels for the swipe.

I started doing this on a regular basis a few weeks ago as it was one of my more recent BabySteps, and so far it's been pretty painless.  I mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to try out the new Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet Cleaning Gel as my "soap" during my Swish and Swipe.  I read some reviews (which were mixed), but decided to spend the $3/4 bucks at WalMart and try it out.

So far, not bad!  I bought the Citrus scent which isn't offensive, and after two weeks of use my toilet is still clean.  This product is not intended to keep your toilet clean all on it's own, but to extend the time in between regular cleanings.  The gel plus my daily Swish and Swipe seem to be doing the job, meaning I should never have to "really" clean my toilet again- yea! Sure, I could use whatever random soap product I have lying around, but this eliminates a step for me (always a bonus), and- I'm such a sucker for a gimmick.  At least this gimmick seems to work! Plus, it's pretty:


Yes, my toilet is so clean I felt comfortable showing you a picture of the gel, up close and personal.  It looks like a little jewel, doesn't it?  I read a review where a woman referred to it as her "toilet jewelry", and I am so stealing that term.  I just wish I could remember where I read the review so I could give her credit!  Oh, the gel does not turn the water blue; that is from one of those toilet tank tablets.  My roommate still wants to use them (despite the fact I find them ineffective at keeping the toilet clean), and I found no warnings saying I shouldn't use them along with the gel, so I gave in.  His reason for wanting to use the blue tablets:  He likes to make the water turn green.  You do the color math.  He'd kill me if he knew I told you that, but he's still camping, so ha ha!

My cat also appreciates the Swish and Swipe I do on the sink every morning, because nothing says love like a clean sink to sleep in on a hot July day:

5 comments:

Lee July 6, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

oooh I should share the sink idea with our cat! She's been camped out on our (unused as of this moment) dryer. I assume the metal keeps it cool as long as it's not running.

Kudos to you for keeping up with Swish & Swipe! Glad to hear the "toilet jewelry" works LOL!! I may have to try that next!

Helen July 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

Your cat is so cute in your very clean sink :)

Christi July 6, 2010 at 4:49 PM  

I've got to try some potty bling for myself! I love this idea!

Jessica July 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

Laughing at your cat in the sink! That looks like something my cats would do

Heather-Lynn July 6, 2010 at 10:20 PM  

I know it's completely off topic but I found the alternative for your shoes. They are the anti-slip version they offer as a work-safe shoe. They look just like the Crocs you love...

http://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/index.cfm?changeWebsite=US_en&route=c_store.viewDetailsOfProduct&partnumber=4005