Wednesday, July 14, 2010

BabyStep 28: Green Tea and Gummies

BabyStep 28- I'm almost done!  Of course, when it comes to sticking with Flylady one is never done, but it will feel good to say I completed all the BabySteps. Today was the instruction that we need to remind ourselves to treat our bodies right by eating good food, drinking water and getting our rest.

#1- Eat Good Food.  Well, if you read my last post we all know that I have issues with this.  Need to work on that one.

#2- Drink Your Water.  This is a very big issue for me.  I am a bit of a pop/soda-aholic.  As in, I can single handedly drink a 24 can case of Pepsi or Coke in about 3 days.  That's BAD.  Really, really, REALLY bad.  Not only is it loaded with sugar, empty calories, caffeine, blah blah blah, but it also dehydrates you, causes osteoporosis, makes you bloated, rots your teeth, yada yada yada.  I have gone through spurts where I work on replacing the majority of this delicious elixir devil's drink with water, but I have never been able to stick with it long.  It's mostly the mental/physical addictions to the caffeine.  I feel like I NEED to have it.  If I don't, I'm convinced I will drop dead due to lack of my power source. If I don't have it, I really do get headaches from the caffeine withdrawal.  Plus, I really don't like plain water.  It's boring.  It's tasteless.  It's rather unappealing.  However when I DO drink it, I notice that I loose about 5 pounds in a week from flushing out my water weight, and I become more (TMI ALERT!) regular.  It is only after I am off of the pop that I can see the damage it was doing and didn't even know it. 

Recently I was introduced to something that has make cutting back on the pop bearable: Arizona Green Tea and Pomegranate mix.


First things first- I hate tea of any kind, and just the thought of a pomegranate was unappealing.  But I did a taste test without being told what this stuff was, and I thought it was juice or Kool-Aid, not tea.  It's THAT good.  Yes I realize it still has caffeine, but at 7.5 mg per serving, it's significantly less than the 35-55 mg per serving the average pop contains.  This is good because I am getting enough caffeine to ward off my mental addiction without the physical overload I was ingesting with the pop.  Also, this drink is calorie free, having been sweetened with sucralose, aka Splenda.  I am not receiving  a bunch of empty calories as I was with pop, and the sweetener is not aspartame, aka Nutra Sweet/Equal.  That crap gives me a headache like nobody's business.  Oh yeah, in the few weeks I've been drinking this stuff (with about a 50/50 ratio along with my pop), I have lost 5-8 pounds.  I'm sure most of this has been water weight from the Pepsi-bloat, but still.  Coincidence?  I think not.

So, although it's not water, I do feel justified in using this green tea awesomeness to combat my Coke-addiction (or Pepsi, depending on the day).  It's pretty cheap too- I buy it at Walgreens for around $3.75 a "can", which contains enough to make 3 gallons.  It ends up being a fraction of what my pop costs. 

#3-Get Your Rest.  I pretty much covered this back in the post where I set my bedtime, and I can report back that I am on average getting around 7.5 hours of sleep a night now. 

To wrap up and round out this "your body is a temple"-esque post, I would like to share one of my new loves:  Gummi Vitamins. I suck so bad at taking a multi-vitamin on a regular basis, but when I saw that they now make some in the form of gummi snacks I wanted to try them.  I do most of my grocery shopping at Aldi, and it just so happens they carry their own brand of these tasty little treats.


I found them grouped in with the other medications for $3.99 a bottle, which contains 60 gummies.  For an adult dosage of two gummies/day, this will last me a month.  Not too shabby, and OMG are they good!  I look forward to taking them every morning and get bummed that I'm only allowed two.  In fact, I am going to bed now so my unconscious state will make the time pass faster until I can take my next two.  Good night!

1 comments:

Jessica July 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

I'm right there with you on the water thing. I drink so much pop! I get headaches if I try to stop. But I really need to! I've been trying to at least limit how much I drink, and drink a little more water. It is hard, though!