Friday, May 28, 2010

End Of Week Wrap-Up and Surprise Comments!

No BabyStep tonight (I know, you were sooo looking forward to it.  I'm sorry.), but I did want to do a quick end of week wrap-up before I head over to my parents' house tomorrow morning.  It's not for anything fun, like Memorial Day festivities.  No, my car lease is ending next week so I have to go with my Dad to get that process started and figure out what I am going to do about a car come June 9th.  It's going to be a long day/weekend of decisions, number crunching and paperwork.  Can't you just feel the joy oozing from my pores? (That was my attempt at sarcasm, by the way.)

Wrap-up Topic #1:  The Battle Against the Ants has ended (I hope), and I won!  Thanks to those who left comments with suggestions on how to get rid of them, and although it wasn't actually one of your suggestions that did the job, one of them did lead me to something that worked. 

This morning I was reading the suggestions and decided to start  with sweet-smelling dish soap set out near the spot the ants were coming into the house.  Apparently after a few days the ants are supposed to be attracted to the smell and will climb in the soap, only to drown in the grease-fighting goodness.  Interesting.  My roommate has some pink-grapefruit liquid dish soap sitting by the sink, so I set a saucer of that out on the balcony.  Not one to just take advice and run with it, my Google-holic self started searching the Internet for others who have gone this route to see what success they had with it.  While getting blissfully lost in Internet-land, I found myself on a website that had several ant repelling/killing methods, including the soap.  As I scrolled down the page another method caught my eye: plain 'ol black pepper.  Hmmmmm.  Supposedly putting a line of this along the doorway would repel the ants.  I had this too!  Two ant-killing/repelling strategies must be better than one!  I grabbed the pepper and poured some in front of the door, balcony side.


Now, for the last few days I have come home to find ants all over the apartment and my cats going ape-*hit trying to chase them down.  Today I walked in and found:  nothing.  Not a single ant.  I looked out on the balcony and couldn't see any there either.  So far so good!  I checked the soap-dish and there weren't any downing victims there, so I have a good feeling it was the black pepper that did the trick.  I know I'm a little weird, but I actually feel kind of bad the soap-trick didn't have a chance to work! So, thank you to whoever suggested it, but I'm sorry I didn't set up my experiment in a professional manner to find out if it worked or not!  Moving on...

Wrap-up Topic #2:  I had an interesting and exciting commenter today!  Apparently NikkiStarr, producer of FlyLady's radio show reads my blog!  My blog!  She left me a message on an older post, and here's what she had to say:

"I live 2 doors down from The FlyLady, and I promise, she is far from perfect and she openly admits it. It's part of the reason I listen to her advice. I can't take advice from someone who is perfect because I'll never be. I also have the privilege of producing her radio show. She is the kindest person I have ever met in real life. She has never called herself a guru, and her only mission is to help others. If tough love is needed she does provide it, but always in a very kind way. She's never been angry at anyone on the air. She doesn't tolerate whining and she NEVER whines herself. Also, the What Part of Baby Steps don't you get tweet was a serious question as we're always striving to make sure we communicate correctly. We should have included a ? at the end. We often post the No Whining picture if we've received a lot of whining posts or emails. Just a reminder that you can do anything for 15 minutes. Most of the time I whine longer than it takes me to just do what I'm whining about. That might just be me though. I struggle to embrace the "Do it now" principle. Thankfully, there is no perfect in this system.

I have been enjoying your blog and wish you the best on this journey. I can't wait for you to have your own home! No matter how these baby steps turn out that will be the best! I hope it happens soon. I'll keep reading and hoping it does! <3"

My first thought was "Someone who actually knows FlyLady reads my blog! Holy crap!"

My second thought was "Someone who actually knows FlyLady reads my blog... Holy. Crap..."  

I mean, this woman speaks to FlyLady on a regular basis.  Has she mentioned my blog to her?  Does FlyLady know I exist?  Does she know about some of the more tongue-in-cheek things I have said on my whiny days?  Does FlyLady know I whine?  Oh God, FlyLady knows I'm a whiner and  that I write about her.  FlyLady is coming after me, I just know it!

I kid, I kid.  Seriously Nikki, it's great to know that you follow my blog and I appreciate your comments!  I hope you continue reading what I have to say and take the snarky (I love that word) things I say in the manner they were intended.  Which would be snarky, but lighthearted. ;)  Now please, tell FlyLady not to hurt me!

Gotta go finish my BBR, see ya on the flip-side!

7 comments:

Em May 30, 2010 at 6:09 PM  

So glad you got rid of your ants! I hate ants! And how cool is that about the "celebrity" comment? So cool!

Anonymous,  May 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM  

Black pepper? I never thought of that! I wonder if that would work in the garden too...

Great blog btw!

Anonymous,  May 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM  

Black pepper? I never thought of that. I wonder if that would work in the garden too...

Great blog btw!

NikkiStarr May 31, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

You made me laugh so hard I snorted! I really do like your blog and I'm rooting for you with my big purple pom poms whether FlyLady works out for you or not.:) I'm also freaking out that the black pepper worked for you to keep the ants at bay. I have never heard of that before. We bought these granules that the aunts are supposed to take back to their home and kill every single ant, but they don't seem to like those granules very much. So far the problem hasn't grown ginormous, but I'd like to nip it in the bud before they try to enter my home. You laying out black pepper reminds me of the things people do to keep out the voodoo spirits. I wonder if it would work for that too?
I'll let you in on a secret. Marla has the BEST sense of humor ever. I'm not sure if she reads your blog or not. My job for FLyLady is Social Media Manager and graphic design. Your blog is beautifully very graphically appealing and your writing is witty and sarcastic. I can't imagine anyone not liking it. It is, after all, your personal experience. There is no right or wrong in sharing those things. Just entertainment.
All that being said, I will always offer encouragement so if you get sick of me feel free to edit my comments. Encouragement isn't necessarily a part of my job, it's just a part of who I am.
I hope you're having a great weekend and that you got some well deserved time off.
One of these days you're going to have to share with me how to make butter. One of my passions (besides Death Metal and Politics) is French cooking. You can NEVER EVER EVER EVER have enough butter. :)

NikkiStarr May 31, 2010 at 5:26 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chandra June 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

Yeah, the pepper actually worked. It reminded me of doing protection work against evil spirits or something, but normally I think salt is used for that. It's hard to see the pepper on my wooden threshold, so now it's like I have this invisible magic barrier at my doorway. It's kinda cool.

Chandra June 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

@Nikki- I'd love to tell you how to make butter, send me an email and I can walk you through it.