Thursday, May 27, 2010

BabyStep 21: Ask FlyLady, And Attack of the Giant Ants!

This is going to be a quickie post, it's already 9:00 PM and I try to start my Before Bed Routine around 9:30 so I get everything done before my 11:30 bedtime.  Whoa. I totally sound like I drank the Purple Kool-Aid, don't I?

Today I moved on to BabyStep 21: Check Out Ask FlyLady.  This is a section on her website where she answers a question from other Purple Kool Aid drinkers her followers once per day.  Today's question and answer was about FlyLady's Swish and Swipe habit, but since this is also an upcoming BabyStep I'm not really going to say anything about it right now.  I read it, that's what's important.

In more important (to me) news, our apartment has been taken over by an army of ants!  These aren't little buggers either; my roommate says they are Carpenter Ants that are more interested in eating wood than they are in stealing any picnic food we have laying around.  We live in a historic home, so there is plenty of woodwork in this place for them to munch on!

Roommate also said that this happened last year too, and nothing he did got rid of them.  I used to get ants every summer in my last apartment and had luck with pouring white vinegar along the area where they were getting in. This ALWAYS worked in the past, so of course I tried it first here.  I assumed I would pour the vinegar along the doorway to the balcony (current portal of access), and poof!  they would be gone, leaving me to bask in my all-natural-remedy glory and gloat (just a little) to my roommate. Boy, was I wrong!

These ants must be tempered in nuclear-waste or something, because they pretty much laughed in the face of my vinegar acid-bath.

"What?  You think you can stop US with your pathetic white vinegar?  Muwahahahaha!  We laugh in the face of vinegar!" Bum bum, bum bum, bum bum bum... Nom nom nom... (That was the sound of the ants marching on and eating more wood.)

Never has vinegar failed me when it comes to ants, so I was pretty shocked.  All we can do now is step on them to keep the numbers down until we find something that will annihilate these little devils. It's really gross too; some of them are so big juice goes squirting out of them when I squish them. Sometimes we see live ants carrying away the dead bodies of their fallen comrades.  It reminds me of the scene in Forrest Gump where he carries all the injured soldiers out of the jungle.   


These are all the ants my roommate killed in about a 30-second period.  Blech.  Oh, just so I don't sound totally callous, I would like to add that if I see an ant that didn't die with the first squish and is still squirming around, I do go back and give it a mercy squash to put it out of it's misery. Any suggestions as to what might actually kill these things?

P.S. I made it within my time-limit, it's 9:29 now.  Time to drink more Purple Kool-Aid.

3 comments:

Stephanie Ann May 28, 2010 at 12:09 AM  

Salt and mint get rid of ants. You can also leave a dish of sweet smelling dish soap out for a few days. For the first few days they wont touch it and after that, you'll catch a lot of them. Good luck with it!

Mr. Condescending June 19, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

Why do I always find myself starting at your boobs on your header?

PS: I'm sure this will not make it past moderation!

Chandra June 19, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

@MrC- Ha! I did post that one, despite it's vulgarity. That was actually pretty tame for you. And, the joke's on you- that isn't even me in that pic. So there.

@Everyone else- please don't mind him, he just tries to get my dander up.