Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, New Digs

On New Year's Eve-eve there were some changes made around here. During our relationship my ex and I purchased bedroom and living room furniture together. These items included a bed set, couch, recliner, coffee table and a wool area rug. My ex came to pick up the pieces of furniture he won in our "divorce".    I was not happy about having to divide up these belongings, having the strongest emotions over who got the bed.

Even though it wasn't really my taste when we first bought it, I grew to really like the bed we picked out together and had a very hard time letting it go.  Yes, there was sentimental attachment involved, but also I just really like this bed! I was not happy with the idea of him walking out the door with something that was just as much mine as it was his.  But, after several arguments and tears, a compromise was made.

Because I had another bed available to me (the Shaker-style four poster I picked out when I was about 14) and he didn't, it really was only fair that he get the bed.  But, to lower the suckage-level for me, I told him I got the mattress. He could have the one that was supposed to go on my bed, a barely-used hand me down from my sister.  He agreed.  At least this way it still feels like the bed I'm used to, even though I haven't slept on this one for a decade.

He also got the recliner that was purchased to be "his" in the first place, and my pretty blue couch with an optional chaise lounge.  Again, not happy.  But, he did take over the final payments for the living room stuff after we broke up, so it was only fair.  He did leave me the area rug and coffee table.  I call them my "consolation prizes".

I spent most of December 30th and 31st rearranging my bedroom to get the new set-up to work and feel homey.  This was not fun.  The biggest problem I ran into was that the bed I now have has four tall posts, and one perfectly blocked my view of the TV. FYI- I have to watch TV as I fall asleep.  HAVE TO. Don't give me that crap about it ruins your sleep blah blah blah.  I'm set in my ways.  After several attempts to move things around, it finally came to the point where the only solution was for me to change which side of the bed I slept on.

I don't know if any of you have had to make this same change at some point, but for those of you who haven't, I think it sucks!  Everything feels all wrong! When I walk in the room I automatically start heading for the other side and have to correct myself.  I never realized what an ingrained thing this was for me until it changed.  It's only a distance of 3 feet, but it feels like another world.  It's hard for me to sleep now too, and even my cats seemed confused by the new arrangement.  I need to retrain myself to navigate my own room.

Anyway, I got things moved around in the bedroom mostly to my liking.  I really wanted to recreate the cozy feeling I had made with the previous arrangement as soon as possible so I was wasn't living in a state of chaos.  Things are looking pretty cute in here if I do say so myself.  Don't get me wrong, since it's only been a couple days I would gladly put things back the way they were in a heartbeat given the chance.  It still doesn't feel like "home" yet.

Here are some pictures, all taken on the iPhone since I can't find the cord to my camera that allows me to upload pics to the computer:

Bed before.

Bed after.

The trouble-making TV.

Replacement nightstand.

Bedtime.  TTYL!



2 comments:

Stephanie Ann January 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM  

I'm sorry to hear about your breakup. It's probably a good thing that he got the bed--you'd feel weird having your (future) new guy in it wouldn't you?

Marty January 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM  

Hey there, I've been missing from the blog world for a while now but always looked forward to reading your posts...I'm sorry to hear about the break up...everything changed for you, even the side of the bed you sleep on, and the poor kitties...It'll all get better=) Time heals=) I love the poster bed btw=)