Hey 'Yall, I'm back! My Daddy fixed my laptop power cord when I went home on Monday, so I'm back in the blogging business. Time to play catch up:
I turned 27 last Wednesday (June 23rd for all of you who want to mark it on your calendars for next year). And to be honest, as far as birthdays go, it kinda...sucked. I'm taking a free-to-whine-pass here, so bear with me. Here's a run-down of how my day went:
1. My mother was admitted (back) into the hospital for complications with her cancer treatment the night before.
2. I had to work. Not that this was a big deal or unexpected, but does anyone like to work on their birthday? Plus, it leads to what happened next:
3. There was an earthquake. Sure it was up in Canada, but I actually did feel it down here in NE Ohio. I was sitting in a chair and I felt myself swaying back and forth. I thought I was going nuts until I jumped on Twitter and saw there was a logical explanation for it.
4. There was a BAD storm. So bad that I had to bring a classroom-worth of high school kids visiting the historical farm where I work down into the cellar of my work house for safety. I had to act like the brave adult when I am actually terrified of storms. Not fun.
5. Thanks to above-mentioned storm, the power back at my apartment was knocked out. It was out long enough my cell needed charging (being our only form of communication as we don't have a land line), so I had to go to the library and plug it into one of their computers to charge it up. I was just stuck sitting there, tethered to phone. Boring.
6. (This is where the true pity-party begins, you have been warned.) I DID NOT GET A SINGLE BIRTHDAY PRESENT OR CARD. No birthday dinner with my family either, which is our custom. No cake. Not even a cupcake. Or a Twinkie with a candle stuck in it. Yes, I got plenty of "Happy Birthday" messages on Facebook and texts, but that's it. In fact, the next day at work someone asked me what I got for my birthday, and my reply was "Nothing." She thought I was joking. This made me feel worse about it.
Am I just being selfish? I am 27 after all. I feel this puts me in the official "Almost-30" category. Am I too old to expect/want anything I feel I missed out on this year? It's not like I expected a big birthday bash or heaps of presents like a kid, I'm already pretty used to my birthday being low-key. But this year, is was such a non-event I couldn't help but notice.
I'll be sitting here in the corner moping if you need me. Regular FlyLady-related posts should be resuming soon.