Friday, May 21, 2010

BabyStep 18: The Lord Has Spoken

Today's BabyStep: Read FlyLady's 11 Commandments and put them in my Control Journal.  Done and done.  However, I feel the need to comment on one of these Commandments:

Commandment #2 is a reminder to get dressed every morning, including lace-up shoes.  FlyLady is very big about lace-up shoes, but for a reason.  She says that if you are wearing shoes that lace-up it will be harder for you to just slip them off whenever you feel like it, which in turn makes it easier for you to keep your "Frannie" moving and get things done during the day. 

Well, I have a little confession to make: I do not even own a pair of lace up shoes anymore.  These are my everyday shoes, my "sneakers" if you will:
These are called "Alice" and were made by Crocs.  I say "were" because I'm pretty sure they no longer sell them, which is sad because I love these shoes.  I have had my pair for 2 years and have worn them every day.  I'm not kidding.  Summer, winter, what-have-you, I have worn these shoes.  Personally I can't stand don't care for the look of regular Crocs (the clog style with all the holes), but I thought this Mary-Jane style was pretty cute!  They are easy to care for too:  if they get dirty I hose them off in the sink and let them dry for 1/2 an hour.  Done.  I like to wear them with fun socks:


(From the look of this picture, me thinks it's time to hose them off again!)  Despite these not being lace-up shoes I am doing very well with keeping my shoes on my feet during the day.

Oy, is it time for bed yet?  I'm so tired.  It's been a helluva week at work.  Today was the last day I had to prepare for the big benefit dinner taking place tomorrow, so I had a lot of 1845-house cleaning to do in between talking to school groups.  Seriously, my "breaks" were when I was doing my spiel for a group and got to sit down while we churned butter.  Otherwise I was busting hump trying to clean the parlor carpet with a broom (how I longed for a Hoover!) and dusting cobwebs out of corners.  Cobwebs that I removed from the same corners just two days ago.  Those spiders are quick!  The kicker in all this is:  the forecast for tomorrow is rain, which means that the dinner guests might not even get to venture out into the village where "my" house is to see all the hard work I have done, and it will have all been for nothing!  Well, not nothing, because the house looks very nice and I will get to reap that benefit come Monday, but still.  I want to show it off. 

Speaking of where I work, here is a picture taken a couple days ago of me washing some of the butter I churned.  I know there is one reader out there who will appreciate it!


Edit:

Lee said:  "If you get to use a real wooden butter mold I'm just going to die with jealousy.  Spoken as a true history geek here lol."

Well Lee, I hope you have your headstone picked out, because it just so happens I do mold the butter using wooden molds after I am done churning:


Taken with my cell phone last fall.  This is one of two designs I can mold with.

And by the way, I washed my shoes.  :)

4 comments:

Lee May 21, 2010 at 10:18 PM  

If you get to use a real wooden butter mold I'm just going to die with jealousy.

Spoken as a true history geek here lol.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "lace up" shoes. For 2 winters my FLY shoes (I use specific shoes for only in the house to keep from tracking our crap sandy soil inside) I used zip up boots. Last summer I used a mary jane style "sneaker" kind of like yours.

I should do a blog post sometime about my issue with FLY shoes, hmm....

Anyway, as long as you're wearing shoes and they're not flipflops, I think you're doing okay. Flylady herself would disagree with me ;)

Chandra May 21, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

Lee: Re-read the post, I added an edit to the bottom just for you. :)

Svr May 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

How cool! "Washing butter" interesting! Cool on the shoes. Good job.

Lee May 22, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

*SQUEEEE* I MUST HAVE ONE!

lol :) Thanks for the photo!